More Appliqué Experimentation

I continued experimenting with appliqué technique, this time glue basting and starch basting.

I’ve used a small glue stick successfully for glue basting hexagons, so I expected to like it for turtles too.

But no. The perimeter of the turtle shape was jerky. Where there should be gentle curves on the turtle’s side, there were short straight sections joined by points. The feet and tail were also jerky.

Conclusion: In my hands, glue basting works well for straight lines and for simpler shapes without acute curves or points. For a more complex shape like my turtle, it doesn’t work well.

On to starch basting. Demos of this technique look awesome, so I was really pumped to try it. I set myself up for success with some new equipment.

I’ve been wanting a mini-iron, so this was a good reason to buy. While shopping for the iron, I found this clever little finger stiletto (hopefully to avoid finger scorching!). A large bottle cap to spray the liquid starch into, a small paint brush, and I was all set.

Such disappointment. Painting the starch onto the fabric was easy. But even using my new fingertip stiletto and mini-iron, I could not manipulate the fabric into the gentle curves and acute angles of the turtle shape. (Look particularly at the two magnified areas.)  I simply could not get the fabric to cooperate into curves without points.  Experiment aborted without being finished.

Conclusion: Starch basting is probably useful for larger or less complex shapes.

I’m putting together my personal favorite pearls for hand appliqué in my next post. See you then!!

Leave a Reply